JimB Sail newsletter

Once every few months we'll email you about site additions and cruising news - unless you unsubscribe, of course!

Subscribe to JimB Sail newsletter feed

Going Foreign in Your Boat

When 'Going Foreign', ie, leaving your home country (be it America, Canada or a European country) for longer than a typical holiday, or traveling to another country in your own boat, you'll face unfamiliar situations.   Boating regulations will differ, while civic or immigration rules limit how long people may stay before their 'visitor' status changes. On the practical side, boat equipment may have to cope with climate differences, longer periods on board, or new mooring techniques.

A Warning! Our advice solely relates to privately owned leisure craft, less than 24m LOA. change Although regulations exist, that doesn't always mean local officials are aware of them, or apply then consistently. Also, in the past, local officials have tolerated the idea that foreign flag boats don't have to meet local equipment requirements; this tolerance is diminishing. 

Mistakes. There will be mistakes and errors on this site, so treat all our advice with skepticism. When you find mistakes, add a comment to the page to keep us up to date. To see these comments, and add them, you'll need to create an account (free!) using the link on the right of the page.

Regulations affecting those Cruising around Europe

  • European Organisations. Customs and immigration rules depend which class of European country you're visiting; EU, EEA, Schengen, Euro zone, or none of the above. This link explains some reasons for the boat paperwork needed. After checking these groups, look at the right hand menu - this will list cruising routines for some more rigorous or unusual countries.
  • Documentation. For trouble free cruising, your boat must be registered. And other documents will often be asked for.
  • Time abroad. Being away from home for more than 90 days, or continuously in another country for 90 days, or in another country for more than 182 days in 365, or beyond your visa stamped date, has surprising implications, including fines.
  • Leaving the House. Not a teen age Odyssey, but a check list for UK residents to think about if they're planning to spend more than 2 weeks away from home. It Includes notes on insurance, money management and more.

Preparing Boats and Inventory

The following pages will be added in to the "Equipping the Boat' section in 2018:

  • Decide how to keep in touch
  • Ensure adequate electric supplies
  • Review water and waste systems
  • Review anchoring and mooring arrangements
  • Decide how much maintenance you'll be doing, and how much you'll farm out



Last Reviewed May 2017


To save yourself money (and help pay site costs) buy discounted charts and pilot books through our Book Store

Alternatively, send me the price of a beer or two through PayPal